- Scooter style electric bike with pedal assist and twist throttle mode
- Features fenders, suspension, lights, radio, usb charger and locking storage areas
- Powerful 48 volt Lead Acid or Lithium battery pack is removable for convenient charging and storage
The AmericanElectric Bike RE is a scooter style ebike that offers pedal assist and throttle mode. Compared with similar bikes in its class this one has a stronger motor, pedal assist mode, digital display readout and fancy upgrade options like a USB charger, alarm system and even a built in radio. There’s enough room for a second rider and small foot pegs built in for stability. It’s a comfortable ride with front and rear suspension, padded banana seat and thick oversized tires designed to resist puncture and it comes in a wide range of colors.
The motor powering this moped style ebike is a 500 watt direct drive (gearless) design built into the rear hub. It’s powerful, quiet and durable because it uses large magnets and electric current to propel the bike. One drawback to this configuration is a bit of drag when the bike is coasting or powered off (due to the magnets repelling). Given its larger size, the motor adds weight to the overall bike which makes deploying the kickstand a bit of work. Thankfully, there’s a built in step lever to help you out… Compared with a gas powered scooter this thing is still very light at 165 pounds.
The bike comes stock with a Lead Acid battery pack that’s heavier, at about 30 pounds, so if you want to lighten things up consider upgrading to Lithium-ion for ~$300. Lead Acid replacements are about $150 and they tend to be more resistant to extreme temperatures but lack the range and lifespan of Lithium. The pack that comes standard with this bike offers 48 volts of power and 12 amp hours of capacity for a ~25 mile range which is pretty standard for scooters like this. Keep an eye on the battery indicator because pedaling (or walking) this bike home would not be fun. The lack of seat height adjustment and wider pedal position would cramp your knees and chaff your inner thighs over long distances.
While some other electric scooters have simple LED based consoles this one has a nice large digital readout. You can see your speed, range and precise battery level here. During my ride tests it was easy to hit 25 miles per hour which is +5 above the legal limit for a true “electric bike” and this is a feature that can be unlocked at time of purchase. Just be very careful because if you’re in an accident at these higher speeds you could be held liable as a driver vs. bicycle. The higher top speed option would mean that you should have a license and insurance to legally ride on roads.
All things considered, I like the design of this bike and the quality seemed to be one step above competing offerings. The optional alarm, usb charger and speakers are kind of neat and the price point is fair. Ultimately, the scooter design is too heavy and uncomfortable to pedal with just one gear due to the fixed seating position but provides a way to stretch your legs while riding.
- Great LED lighting setup with front and rear lights, high beam and turn signals
- Comes with either a Sealed Lead Acid or Lithium-ion battery that’s removable for storage or convenient charging
- Stable kickstand has built in prop bar to help you park the bike
- Boot style cargo box can be fitted where the passenger seat is
- Front and rear suspension work well with banana style seat to smooth out the ride
- Beautiful backlit display shows speed, distance and battery capacity
- Built in horn and turn signals are easy to access and keep the ride safe
- Optional USB charger, stereo speaker system and chrome reflectors are neat
- Great 1 year warranty on the battery, 5 year warranty on the motor
- Extra thick tires resist flats and solid alloy rims won’t go out of true
- Hidden kill switch inside locking seat area helps to deter tampering and theft
- Optional higher top speed creates a legal liability if you get into an accident, ride safe
- Only one gear to pedal with, small crank arms, poor seating position for pedaling
- Heavier than most bicycle style ebikes at 165 pounds (74.8 kg)
- Fast pedal assist mode makes it hard to keep up when pedaling, may have sensitivity adjustment
- Drum brakes don’t stop as fast as disc brakes or higher end hydraulic actuated systems
- Official Site: http://aelectricbike.com/collections/americanelectric
- More Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/G6zhgxiujq3ScnRG8